CYBERSECURITY ALMANAC | 2020
Momentum Cyber is pleased to provide you with our third annual Cybersecurity Almanac 2020 – the most comprehensive review of all strategic transactions and our proprietary insights on the industry. The 896 page Cybersecurity Almanac chronicles the key trends which made 2019 another record-breaking year for the industry including $27.6 billion in M&A volume and $8.9 billion in VC investments and lays out Momentum’s key predictions for 2020. The report is comprised of an in-depth analysis of over 3,500 Cybersecurity companies across the globe, strategic deal activity including IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity financings, and the market impact of news and events.
Momentum Cyber would like to thank the following authors for their contributions to our 2020 Cybersecurity Almanac: Ed Amoroso (Tag Cyber), Bob Ackerman (Allegis Cyber / Datatribe), Yoav Leitersdorf (YL Ventures), Alex Weiss (ClearSky), Jay Leek (ClearSky), Peter Kuper (ClearSky), Patrick Heim (ClearSky), Alex Doll (Ten Eleven), Mark Hatfield (Ten Eleven), Sid Trivedi (Foundation Capital), & Paul Martini (iboss).
- M&A: 2019 set another M&A record in the Cybersecurity space with 188 transactions accounting for $27.6 billion in aggregate disclosed value. The year witnessed 5 $1B+ plus deals, 4 of which involved public company targets. Security Consulting & MSSP categories co-led M&A activity with 31 deals each, surpassing the Identity & Access Management sector from last year.
- PE & VC: Private Equity cemented its position as a serious player in Cybersecurity with 51 completed deals accounting for over 20% of M&A deal volume. Venture Capital invested $8.9 billion across 419 deals, a $2.5 billion increase on last year’s record setting figure.
- IPOs & Public Company Analysis: The Cybersecurity IPO market remained active with 4 Cybersecurity companies going public in 2019 – Ping Identity, Crowdstrike, Tufin, & CloudFlare. Public markets exited 2019 at all-time market highs, with high-growth Cybersecurity companies leading major indices.
- Sector Focus: Detailed perspectives across all 46 Cybersecurity sectors including Application Security Testing, Web Security, Authentication, and Risk Assessment & Visibility, among others.
- Trends & Predictions: Expert analysis reflects on key events and drivers impacting the space in 2019 and what to expect in 2020, including increased demand for comprehensive risk management solutions and the security impact of digital transformation, the disappearing perimeter, and increased cloud adoption.
- Momentum Cyber Advises JASK on Its Acquisition by Sumo Logic
- Momentum Cyber & Optiv Publish White Paper: 2019 Security Technology Spend Insights Report
- Momentum Cyber To Support NTT’s Global Cybersecurity Strategy & Growth Initiatives
- Momentum Cyber Releases Its Cybersecurity Mid-Year Review for 2019
- Momentum Cyber Advises Interset on Its Acquisition by Micro Focus
- Momentum Cyber’s Annual Cybersecurity Almanac Reveals Another Record Year
- Momentum Cyber Advises ADT And NightDragon On Their Strategic Investment In SAM Seamless Network
- Momentum Cyber & Optiv Publish White Paper ‘E’ Is For Efficiency: Five Trends To Relieve The Cybersecurity Skills Shortage
- Momentum Cyber Advises ADT On Its Acquisition Of SDI
- Momentum Cyber Releases Its Cybersecurity Mid-Year Review For 2018
- Momentum Cyber Advises ICEBRG On Its Acquisition By Gigamon
- Momentum Cyber Advises Bradford Networks On Its Acquisition By Fortinet
- Momentum Cyber Releases Inaugural Cybersecurity Almanac For 2018
- Momentum Cyber Launches As Industry’s Premier Cybersecurity Advisory Firm
- Momentum Cyber Advises Weblife On Its $60 Million Acquisition By Proofpoint
- Momentum Cyber Advises DATASHIELD On Its Acquisition By ADT
- Momentum Cyber Advises Cyphort On Its Acquisition By Juniper Networks
Momentum Cyber is the premier trusted advisor to the Cybersecurity industry providing bespoke high-impact advice combined with tailored, senior-level access. The firm was founded by world-class operators and advisors and caters to the unique needs of both earlier stage Founders, CEOs, & Boards as well as the complexity of later stage & public companies throughout their lifecycle – Incubation to Exit. Headquartered in San Francisco with operations globally, the founding team has closed over 250 transactions totaling over $250 billion in value.