CYBERSECURITY MARKET REVIEW | Q1 2021
We are pleased to provide you with Momentum’s Cybersecurity Market Review for Q1 2021. We began 2021 with a record setting level of strategic activity in Q1 with 244 transactions completed totaling $24.5B in deal value across M&A (50 transactions, $18.9B) and Financing (194 transactions, $5.6B).
Each quarter we provide you with an update on the dynamic Cybersecurity landscape. We highlight M&A activity, Venture Capital, Initial Public Offerings, public market valuations, and sector trends.
The foreword of this quarter’s report features insights on trends in Cybersecurity after the pandemic from ForgePoint Capital’s Will Lin and Connie Qian.
- 50 M&A deals were announced with disclosed values of $18.9B (median disclosed value of $235.0M)
- The acquisitions of Auth0 by Okta for $6.5B, McAfee’s Enterprise Business by STG for $4.0B, Appgate by Newtown Lane Marketing for $1.6B, QOMPLX by Tailwind Acquisition Corp. for $1.4B, & Thycotic by Centrify / TPG for $1.4B highlighted M&A activity for Q1 2021
- The most active sectors in Q1 2021 included: MSSP (13), Cloud Security (6), Risk & Compliance (5), & Network & Infrastructure Security (3)
- 194 financing transactions completed with total capital raised of $5.6B (median amount raised of $10.0M)
- Lacework’s $525M Series D, Snyk’s $300M Series E, Plume’s $270M Series E, & Orca Security’s $210M Series C rounds led all financing activity for Q1 2021
- 88% of Q1 2021 financing volume ($4.9B) was from Series B & above (median amount raised was $31.0M)
- The most active sectors in Q1 2021 included: Risk & Compliance (30), Data Security (27), Security Operations & Incident Response (19), & Network & Infrastructure Security (15)
- Momentum Cyber Advises Herjavec Group On Its Majority Acquisition By Apax Partners
- Momentum Cyber Advises Alcide On Its Acquisition By Rapid7
- Momentum Cyber Advises MistNet On Its Acquisition By LogRhythm
- Momentum Cyber Advises iboss On Its $145M Growth Financing Led By NightDragon & Francisco Partners
- Momentum Cyber Advises Goldman Sachs, ClearSky, and NightDragon On Their Acquisition of White Ops Cybersecurity
- Momentum Cyber Advises Goldman Sachs And ClearSky Security On Their Strategic Investment In White Ops
- Momentum Cyber Advises JASK on Its Acquisition by Sumo Logic
- Momentum Cyber to Support NTT’s Global Cybersecurity Strategy & Growth Initiatives
- Momentum Cyber Advises Interset on Its Acquisition by Micro Focus
- Momentum Cyber Served as Exclusive Financial and Strategic Advisor to RedLock
- Momentum Cyber Advises ADT and NightDragon on Their Strategic Investment in SAM Seamless Network
- Momentum Cyber Advises ADT on Its Acquisition of SDI
- Momentum Cyber Advises ICEBRG on Its Acquisition by Gigamon
- Momentum Cyber Advises Bradford Networks on Its Acquisition by Fortinet
- Momentum Cyber Advises Weblife on Its $60 Million Acquisition by Proofpoint
- Momentum Cyber Advises DATASHIELD on Its Acquisition by ADT
- Momentum Cyber Advises Cyphort on Its Acquisition by Juniper Networks
Momentum Cyber is the premier trusted advisor to the Cybersecurity industry providing bespoke high-impact advice combined with tailored, senior-level access. The firm was founded by world-class operators and advisors and caters to the unique needs of both earlier stage Founders, CEOs, & Boards as well as the complexity of later stage & public companies throughout their lifecycle. Headquartered in San Francisco with operations globally, the founding team has closed over 250 transactions totaling over $250 billion in value.